The Fit Life – 2019.21 – It’s Never Too Late!
As you age, are you slowing down your fitness routine? Or has it become non-existent? If so, this will be a problem…
There are many reasons why we tend to slow down and become more sedentary with age. Could be due to health problems, weight or pain issues, worries about falling or just not seeing the benefit of it. But as you grow older, an active lifestyle becomes more important than ever to your health!
Being physically active can help boost your energy, maintain your independence, protect your heart, and manage symptoms of illness or pain as well as your weight. It is one of the key factors to living a healthy, long life.
What are the benefits of exercise for older adults?
1. Physical Health Benefits
- Helps you maintain or lose weight. As metabolism slows with age, maintaining a healthy weight is a challenge. Exercise helps increase metabolism and builds muscle mass, helping to burn more calories.
- Reduces the impact of illness and chronic disease. People who exercise tend to have improved immune and digestive functioning, better blood pressure and bone density, low risk of diabetes, obesity and heart disease.
- Enhances mobility, flexibility and balance. Exercise improves your strength, flexibility and posture, which in turn will help with balance, coordination, and reducing the risk of falls.
2. Mental Health Benefits
- Improves sleep. Quality sleep is vital for your overall health. Regular activity can help you fall asleep more quickly, sleep more deeply, and wake up feeling more energetic and refreshed.
- Boosts mood and self-confidence. Exercise is a huge stress reliever and the endorphins produced can actually help reduce feelings of sadness, depression, or anxiety.
- Increases social interaction. Exercise can be made into a fun social event. Nothing like some tough exercise and sweat to bring people together.
3. Cognitive Health Benefits
- Keeps your mind sharp. Exercise is key for cognitive functioning. Certain cells in our brain help with the functioning of keeping us alive, as well as help you think and improve your memory – all these cells increase after a few weeks of regular exercise. The occurrence of dementia was 35% lower than those seniors who were not involved in any type of physical activity.
And the best one, keeps you able to do the things that you LOVE.
Take Sergio for example. He is a member of our Boomer’s program and is a great example as to why we should keep being physically active as we grow older. Sergio, aged 72, who still loves to ski and golf religiously, knows if he doesn’t keep up with his fitness routine, his love and passion would no longer be an option for him. He has been feeling better than ever (well let’s say the last few years) on the slopes and he hopes to maintain this for as long as he can. His success is due to attending the LP Boomer’s classes two times a week and regular LP Massage in order to make sure he can continue to do what he loves.
He is a great testament to show you that no matter your age or your current physical condition, it is so important to enjoy and find ways to become more active and improve your health and happiness through fitness.
It is never too late for older adults to start engaging in regular exercise routines. Don’t let your health and strength hold you back from doing those fun things in life. The key is to find something you enjoy doing and start at a level that is easy to maintain. And we can do that for you.
CLICK HERE to find a great workout you can do anywhere! Or EMAIL US to get started with our LP Boomers workouts and continue enjoying the things you love.
Check Out What the LP Boomers are Saying!
When it comes to facility, class structure, training agenda, and coaching, LP is second to none. LP is really a benchmark facility.
The top benefit of my Boomer workouts is the ability to safely push myself knowing the Coach is aware of my physical limitations and is looking out for my safety. A close second to that is the supportive “Boomer Community” experience that is a mix of accountability and social interaction … while getting your butt kicked through strength, flexibility, and balance.
The top benefit I have experienced is a general improvement in overall health and stamina. LP provides the structure and group support to maintain a program, all while keeping a sense of humour.
I love getting my butt kicked, while still being able to keep it a no impact workout, due to my knees. Also, it keeps me coming back for more, bc I know if I don’t show, the coach will be all over me!!
The Boomers program has helped my physical and mental health greatly. This workout class is great for me as I am with people closer to my age. I do not feel intimated as I do in the regular class. We can work at our own level and speed.
It’s a great group for support and encouragement. The coaches do a great job pushing us to stretch what we are capable of doing. The exercises are easily adaptable to our various levels of ability, strength and attention.