The Fit Life – 2019.41 – Performance Week
Feeling like a BEGINNER again is a scary but cool
Two years ago when Coach Adam began his Ironman Training, and hopped into the pool for his first lane swim at the Laurier Masters Swim Program, he sure was a Beginner 😉 We wish we had some video footage of these early days for him! But with the right mindset, coaching and practice he was able to graduate from the Beginner to Novice/Intermediate Level (so he says lol)
No matter who you are, we’re creatures of habit. The better your habits are, the better they will be in pressure situations.Wayne Gretzky
Now, let’s think about how the best athletes in the world go from beginner to making their sport look like a work of art… Whether it’s Gretzky on the Ice, Jordan on the Court, Rice on the Field, or Pele on the Pitch, these athletes make it look effortless, graceful and artistic!
- Mindset is everything. Check your ego. Learn and grow.
- Coaches are your accountability. Experts that ensure you’re doing it right.
- Practice, Practice, Practice. Enjoy the process.
What we all need to remember is that all of these athletes swear by the fact that they grew up practicing, practicing, practicing or as they call it “playing”. Which we could maybe compare this to the 10,000 Hour Rule of Mastering your Career, Sport, Craft or Area of Expertise. It takes time. 🙂
Now, what does this have to do with Fitness, Training or Working Out?!?! Well, Fitness is in a unique category…..because Strength & Conditioning are the Foundation to Performance and Longevity in any sport! Like in your sport, Mastering the Fundamentals in Fitness is your key to staying healthy, strong and performing at your best as you train, practice and compete!
“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t”Jerry Rice
SO, how do we go from beginner, to intermediate, advanced or to expert? OR, how do we just stay healthy and strong as we train, compete and race?
MASTER THE FUNDAMENTALS!!
As we see Members at LP push to achieve their goals, we have been preaching an even greater emphasis on mastering the fundamentals in the gym and in their sport! So, when the LP Members approached the LP Coaches to say they would really like to buckle down on their form and technique in the gym so they can take their training to the next level, it gets us some kind of excited 🙂 🙂
And this is where the idea of Performance Week was generated! A week of training focused 100% on Mastering the Fundamentals to help you become the healthiest and strongest athlete possible! Whether it be for healthy aging and longevity or for sport performance!
When I was young, I had to learn the fundamentals of basketball. You can have all the physical ability in the world, but you still have to know the fundamentals.Michael Jordan
OK, let’s talk about those Fundamentals and how we have created Performance Week:
- Fundamental #1: Mastering the Squat
- Fundamental #2: Mastering the Pull-up
- Fundamental #3: Mastering the Overhead Press
- Fundamental #4: Mastering Core Activation and Hollow Core
- Fundamental #5: Mastering the Deadlift
Now, let’s be clear we could make a long list of fundamentals. But we have narrowed it down to our Top 5.
Areas of Focus for each Fundamental are:
- Mobility – target and address any limitations holding you back from a perfect squat
- Activation – fire and stimulate the muscles from head to toe that need to be active for a perfect squat
- Performance – focused on the cues and areas of focus to hit a perfect squat
- Improve – the related exercises to improve any muscle imbalances to crush the perfect squat
Mindset & Takeaways:
- Beginner Mindset – NOW, the challenge is to take a BEGINNER Mindset, a step back and a 100% focus on the Fundamentals Feeling like a BEGINNER again is a scary but cool experience right?!?!
- Don’t expect to fix Everything – This is step one. Make a list of “opportunities” for improvement and chip away at them with your team!
- Be the Best – Remember that even the best in the world need to continue working on their fundamentals, mechanics and basics of their sport as they develop!
- What’s Next – The most important part of Performance Week is that you take these tips, tricks, tools, pointers and apply them back to your daily workouts!
Be Your Best Athlete
“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do”Pele
Whether you’re training for sport, competition or life, we challenge you to take a step back, be a beginner again and master the fundamentals in your sport and at the gym to make yourself the strongest, healthiest and best athlete you can be!
Join the LP Team for Performance Week and take your performance in the gym and in your sport to the next level!
Then take that knowledge into the final 8 weeks of 2019.
- Take a few Key Areas of Focus.
- Target your Weaknesses.
- Find an Accountability Partner.
- You Just Got Better.